Dear Happy Feet Students and Parents,
We are very excited about our end-of-year, May 31, 2020 performance. We are in the process of selecting music, costumes, and setting choreography at this time. Our recital is always an exciting and memorable experience for our students and their families. It does involve a great deal of preparation and we want to take this opportunity to explain the process, costs, and time commitment involved for each family.
Please read this letter in its entirety and if you would like your student to participate, please fill in the two forms, for each child participating, on your parent portal and please submit a partial costume payment of $50.00 per dancer, per class by Friday, November 15th. Your family’s partial costume charge has been added to your account balance on your portal. If your child is not participating, we will remove the charge. We apologize in advance for the length of this letter. After many years of producing our recitals, we’ve learned that it is important that we are as clear as possible in advance of your commitment to participate.
Show and Rehearsal Dates and Times
Show Date: Sunday May 31, 2020 at the Marin Center Veterans’ Auditorium
- We produce two shows: Younger students will perform in the early afternoon show and older students in the late afternoon show. Advanced students will dance in both shows.
- We will send specific show assignments with exact times in early February.
- Some families will have students in both shows and those families will receive special instructions.
- We cannot take requests regarding show assignments.
Dress/Technical Rehearsal Dates: Wednesday, May 20, Thursday, May 21, and Tuesday, May 26.
- Dress/Technical rehearsals are also held at the Marin Center.
- Each Happy Feet class will be assigned a rehearsal slot on one of these three days. Families with more than one dancer or students who attend more than one class, may need to available on more than one day.
- A detailed rehearsal schedule will be sent home in February. Please reserve all three dates until specific dates and times are released.
- Attendance at the dress/tech rehearsal is required for all participating students. Our mandatory attendance policy is as much for safety reasons as it is for staging our dances in this new setting. There are no exceptions to this policy so please check your calendars to be sure your student is able to attend dress rehearsal on these dates.
- Costumes will be ordered during the month of December so that they arrive on time. We must pay in full for each costume at the time that we place our order.
- Your total costume cost, which includes costume, tights, any necessary props, shoe ribbons, hats or hair bows cannot be finalized yet.
- We are asking for a partial costume payment of $50.00 per dancer, per class. In other words if you have two children dancing at Happy Feet and one child takes one class and one child takes two classes, then you will need to submit three partial costume payments.
- Costumes generally cost approximately $50 to $100 per costume. We have found that the younger the dancer, the less expensive the costume.
- We will ask for the balance on the costume payment in February.
- Forms and partial costume payments are due by Friday, November 15th. If we do not receive your forms and payments by this date, a costume will not be ordered for your student.
Measurements for costumes
- We ask that each parent measure his/her own child and provide measurements on the form “Measurement and Additional Sizing Information” that is posted to your parent portal.
- Please view our short video at the bottom of this letter to learn how to properly measure your child.
- Costume sizes will be selected based on the measurements you provide, so please measure carefully.
- In order to obtain accurate measurements, be sure your child is dressed in a bathing suit, leotard or underwear when you measure him/her, and use a soft cloth tape measure.
- Please be sure your child is dressed in proper dance attire at all dance classes in case we need to recheck or verify a measurement.
- We do our very best to select the most accurate size costume for each student and we take into account growth between now and May. If your student is between two sizes, we will select the larger size and parents may need to take care of minor costume alterations.
- The Marin Center requires that we hire their union stage crew, lighting, and sound technicians. In addition, we have rental fees for the Veterans’ Auditorium for performances and rehearsals as well as professional editing costs for music used for the performances. We cannot make a final calculation of ticket prices until all of our costs are finalized, but this year we are estimating the cost of tickets to be approximately $26.00 to $28.00 per ticket. In addition, the Marin Center adds a county mandated ticket surcharge per ticket. Please also note that all dancers will sit with their class in our designated “dancers’ section” throughout the performance.
Attendance and Home Practice
- Attendance at class is important between the months of January and end of May. A great deal of class time is spent on learning and rehearsing the performance piece and it is difficult for the class to progress if individual students are absent.
- All dancers are encouraged to practice at home as well. Practice music will be sent home in April.
- Please note that if your student cannot participate in the show, we really hope that he/she will continue to dance with the class throughout the year!
- Happy Feet will close for the Thanksgiving holiday from Monday, Nov. 25th, through Friday, Nov. 29th
- Happy Feet will close for the winter holidays from Monday, Dec. 23rd, through Friday January 3rd. Classes resume as usual on Monday January 6th, 2020. Please note: our classes continue through the recital. We do not reschedule classes after the new year.
Forms and Payment
- Please fill out separate forms for each dancer participating. You will see the forms for each dancer as incomplete on your parent portal. Please fill in the following two forms:
- May 31st Recital Information and Intent to Participate
- Measurement and Additional Sizing
- Please fill out forms carefully. Once you submit, you will not be able to edit your response. Please submit the $50.00 partial costume payment for each class that your student is enrolled in. You will see the invoice for your family’s partial costume charge(s) on your parent portal. Feel free to pay with a credit card through the portal or you can bring a check or cash to Happy Feet by November 15th. If paying by cash, please hand directly to your student’s teacher.
The recital is a wonderful experience and we hope that you are able to participate! Our students absolutely love the excitement of preparing for, and participating in our “big show.” We hope you have a wonderful holiday season and we look forward to an exciting spring at Happy Feet!
To view the YouTube video with our measuring demonstration click here:
Thank you for taking the time to read this information. Please sign in to your parent portal to complete forms:
Cece and Caitlin